The Architecture of the Building

The Simsbury Free Library is a remarkable example of the Colonial Revival architectural style that was popular in New England during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Additionally, it has many features inspired by the earlier American Renaissance and Federal styles. A pair of Palladian windows flanks a columned porch at the front entry, marked with a stone plaque above, engraved with the words “Simsbury Free Library.”

National Register of Historic PlacesMany of the windows have leaded glass panes, including the fanlight in the recessed tympanum over the stone plaque. The two chimneys have barrel vaulted caps and the roof is copper shingle. Inside, the entrance foyer opens into an exquisite reading room with a large fireplace–many volumes from the original collection line the walls. Paintings, statuettes and a grandfather clock donated by the Eno family are also on display.

After the removal of the public library collection, the building underwent extensive renovation and was restored to an historically accurate appearance. In 1991, it was added to the Connecticut Register of Historic Places. In 1996, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places as an Historic District Property.

Events
  • No events
Sign up for our mailing list
* = required field
Photo Gallery
canal-boat-line-flyer img_5948 dsc_0740-001_0 simsbury-arts-academy-exhibit-and-reception img_5940 img_5396 img_5964 dsc_0070 dsc_2850-001

Simsbury Free Library • 749 Hopmeadow Street, P.O. Box 484 • Simsbury, CT 06070 • 860-408-1336