Volume 14 Issue 4, Winter 2007-08
Footprints Across America from the Simsbury 1930 Census
Electric lights were being installed on the west side of Hopmeadow Street from the Simsbury Free Library toward the north. The Simsbury Bank and Trust Company disclosed their “gaudy” earnings of $59,185 for 1929, which was about three times the amount earned the previous year. Antoinette Eno Wood had just died and her will was being probated in the courthouse in Simsbury,
Download the Quarterly for the complete article
Volume 14 Issue 3, Fall 2007
When the Board of Trustees for the Simsbury Free Library met for the first time on August 24, 1874, their first act was to elect Amos F. Eno president of the board in absentia. Five days later the board accepted Mr. Eno’s written resignation from the post. He never held any other office nor is there any record of his ever attending a meeting, but he remained a member of the board until his death forty-one years later.
Download the Quarterly for the complete article.
Volume 14 Issue 2, Summer 2007
The Original Trustees: Part 4
When Amos Richards Eno was assembling a 10 member board of trustees for the Simsbury Free Library in 1874, it is not surprising that he looked to the staff of Toy, Bickford & Company, now Ensign-Bickford Industries. Two of the trustees he named had managerial positions in the company: Ralph Hart Ensign and William H. Whitehead.
Download the Quarterly to read the full publication.
Volume 14 Issue 1, Spring 2007
The Original Trustees: Part 3
Amos Richards Eno, founding benefactor of the Simsbury Free Library, was the son of Salmon Eno, a Simsbury native and a member of the fifth generation of Eno’s in the New World. As a young man, Salmon Eno studied under the town’s congregational minister, Rev. Samuel Stebbins. Then he became a schoolteacher in the part of Berlin, Connecticut that is now New Britain, his mother’s birthplace. There he met Mary “Polly” Richards.
Download the Quarterly to read the full article